03 October 2014

Following paths

Looking over the park
Most lunches nowadays I run through the neighbourhood or in the woods, stopping to take pictures as I go along. My employer moved me temporarily to a new building. Its proximity to the Gatineau Park goes far to console me for the time I spend each day commuting, near three hours. Everyone must purchase a self-driving car once these come out, I'm here to tell you, or to do some work on their driving. Me included.  

Poplar leaves 
 I have just started work on sketches of local flora. Hope it goes somewhere, as I've been hoping to do it for years.

On the drive home, the Experimental Farm

Fletcher Wildlife Gardens

Ada in the labyrinth

Some photos for you to enjoy, and that I may use for art reference. I am taking (for the third time!) art with Blair Paul again. Wrestling with a painting of a tree line - it's going to take a while.

In the last picture, Ada is playing in the Red Oak Labyrinth, an art installation dismantled later that day. Artist Barbara Brown built the labyrinth from trees felled by the Ash Borer. Yet, in all four guestbooks found around the oak at the labyrinth's centre, comment after comment dwelled on the peace of the setting. The books were stuffed with them. Honestly, how often are people moved to write in guestbooks? Something about the place stirred people, and they wrote at length about much-needed tranquility in the heart of the city, etc etc. I could sense that myself but I also felt it was a meditation on death and human destruction, and it filled me with a familiar desperation.

1 comment:

  1. I love the labyrinth. Well done. I love your paths theme.

    ReplyDelete